Duke Kunshan University (DKU) based in Kunshan, China seeks to appoint an Instructional Specialist for the undergraduate program in computer/data science (CS/DS). The Instructional Specialist will support the emerging, interdisciplinary courses and curricula, such as assisting in teaching laboratories and course projects, working with students on course contents, grading homework and projects, etc. Course delivery is in English, including lectures, laboratories, tutor sessions, etc. The instructional specialist will also help in maintaining and upgrading the teaching related hardware/software/cloud infrastructure, establishing lab protocols, and launching instructional tools for undergraduate Computer/Data Science courses.
Chair of the Division of Natural and Applied Sciences with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Director of Information Technology
1. Work with instructors to set up and grade teaching labs and course projects (preparing lab/project descriptions, lab/computer environment, project presentations, etc.) for undergraduate CS/DS courses.
2. Work with instructors to set up and grade homework assignments (preparing questions, solutions, etc.) for undergraduate CS/DS courses.
3. Work with instructors to set up and grade mid-term and final exams (preparing questions, solutions, etc.) for undergraduate CS/DS courses.
4. Offer tutor sessions to undergraduate students taking CS/DS courses.
5. Work on other teaching-related tasks required by the course instructors for the undergraduate CS/DS courses.
6. Identify and order computing hardware and software such as CPU and GPU resource required for education activities.
7. Establish computer teaching lab protocols and develop user manuals.
8. Manage computer teaching labs user accounts for faculty, staff and students.
9. Allocate computing resources and help students access these resources.
10. Develop instructional tools such as automatic grading tool for computer lab assignments.
11. Maintain and upgrade computing hardware/software/cloud.
12. Create automation job to solve and monitor unknown risk of teaching system issues.
13. Observe students to use computing resources, diagnose potential issues and propose corresponding solutions.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
15. University employees' job responsibilities will continue to expand in scope and depth as the University grows in size and complexity in its programs.
1. Receive master’s degree in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, or other CS/ECE-related field from a top Chinese or foreign university.
2. Excellent knowledge in software engineering and data analysis is required.
3. Extensive experience in using MS Office, JAVA, Python, SQL and other script languages is required.
4. Familiar with Linux Shell and Linux Service (Crontab, NFS, SFTP, SSH).
5. Familiar with PHP, HTML, JS, CSS and Web services (Apache, Nginx), SSL etc.
6. Past experience in undergraduate and/or graduate education (e.g., experience as a teaching assistant) is preferred.
7. Excellent organizational skills and excellent problem-solving ability are required. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
8. Hard work and fast learning in a multidisciplinary team are required to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
9. Fluent English skills in reading, writing and speaking are required.
How to Apply
Please be advised the salary is commensurate with experience.
Application Process: submit cover letter and CV to DKUrecruitment@dukekunshan.edu.cn
Please note: DKU will ONLY accept applications received through DKUrecruitment@dukekunshan.edu.cn
Applications sent by other means will NOT be considered.