Duke Kunshan University (DKU), located in Kunshan, China is embarking on the next phase of their ambitious plan to provide a student-center Liberal Arts research education experience. In preparation, DKU is looking for candidates with experience in several areas critical to the mission of the university. Duke Kunshan University is a 21st century university with a highly integrated and interdisciplinary curriculum.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Advising, the Academic Advisor delivers curricular and general advising services to new and continuing undergraduate students. Additionally, the Academic Advisor support Faculty Advising, provides support to new and established programs, faculty-to-student engagement, and services within the Office of Undergraduate Advising and student support services in a liberal arts university setting.
Associate Dean for Academic Advising
Supports academic advising by providing quality student-centered advising programs, advisor development, and administrative services to new and continuing students inclusive, but not limited to:
1. Provide academic advising and retention support to undergraduates from diverse Chinese and international background.
2. Advise and coordinate academic initiatives (e.g., Fellowships, academic coaching, pre-professional advising programs, peer mentor program).
3. Develop advising support and curricular knowledge related to one of the three academic division (Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural and Applied Sciences) as assigned by the Assoc. Dean.
4. Utilize and develop knowledge of advising databases, student information system (SIS), and related technology to provide quality academic advising and student support services.
5. Provide support to students whom desire or need enhancement of their academic learning and/or strategy (i.e. Early Alerts, Coaching, Student Success).
6. Review advising reports, university policies, and procedures to make students are making progress to degree completion.
7. Review, plan, and develop advising experiences and activities that foster student engagement, growth, and learning with regards to academic life.
8. Support and provide coordination to key advising experiences based on 4-year student experience (e.g., major exploration/declaration, post-undergraduate activities, Signature Works, Experiential Learning, Study Abroad).
9. Coordinate and facilitate advising/student success seminars, online resources, and workshops to current and prospective students.
10. Collaborate with institutional partners (e.g., Student Affairs, Undergraduate Studies, Career Services, Study Abroad, Chancellor’s Office, Academic Divisions) in supporting academic, professional, and personal goals of students.
11. Demonstrate knowledge of University operations and ability to multi-task, show initiative, creativity, and teamwork.
12. Assist in development of advisor resources (e.g., Training, Website, Handbooks, Forums) and make recommendations on academic policies and procedures.
13. Work in collaboration and support of the Sr. Coordinator for Academic Advising as directed and needed.
14. Participate and assist in coordinating advising operations (e.g., New Student Orientation, Major Declaration, Major Fairs, Convocation, Campus Days, Open Houses, Student Recognition, Family Weekend, Academic Planning).
Assessment, Professional Development and Other Duties
1. Assist with development of unit/institutional reports related to advising.
2. Participate and provide leadership to campus advising professional development, technology training, and serve on university committees and/or taskforces as assigned by the Associate Dean.
3. Stay current on academic advising trends/best practices (e.g., NACADA, Council of Academic Standards, Education Ministry/Department, NASPA).
4. Assist the Associate Dean for Academic Advising and co-workers with other duties and special assignment.
5. University employees' job responsibilities will continue to expand in scope and depth as the University grows in size and complexity in its programs.
Under the direction of the Associate Dean for Academic Advising, provide leadership and supervision to assigned undergraduates and contract staff (e.g., undergraduate student staff, interns, student assistants, and peer mentors). Further, Academic Advisors will support programming related to Advising and Academic Resource Center and other student support services. Additionally, some nights and weekend will be required.
1. Bachelor Required/Master's Degree Preferred (1-3 years’ experience preferred).
2. Experience in College of Arts & Sciences, Humanities, Teaching, Counseling, Health & Wellness, Higher Education, Training, Career Development, Student Affairs, Study Abroad fields are accepted.
3. Experience working with undergraduate college students.
4. Commitment to continual process and operational improvement.
5. Strong organizational, problem solving, and administrative skills.
6. Recognize and respect diversity.
7. Possess interpersonal, written, and group presentation skills.
8. Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with co-workers and to work as part of the a team.
9. Ability to manage large amounts of information and detail-oriented.
10. Strong computer skills (e.g., web browsing, student software, college databases) and computer applications (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
11. Working knowledge of university culture and operations.
12. Comfort using social media (e.g., WeChat).
How to Apply:
Application Process: submit cover letter and CV to DKUrecruitment@dukekunshan.edu.cn
Please note: DKU will ONLY accept applications received through DKUrecruitment@dukekunshan.edu.cn
Applications sent by other means will NOT be considered.